TSIU03 - System Design
- 2021-09-02: Third lecture will use the predefined link found in the schedule (see the lisam course room). Today that zoom id is 61999772426 with password 045013. Future lectures will use those unique zoom ids found in the schedule.
- 2021-09-01: Second lecture will be given using the same zoom link as the first lecture, meeting id 69188291498 with password 668583. Cause: failing lisam and schedule server.
- 2021-08-27: First lecture is given via zoom, use the meeting id 69188291498 with password 668583. This meeting id is only used for the first lecture.
- 2021-08-04: One major feedback from last year was a too heavy workload at the end of the course. Because of this, we have tried to bring forward the labs and assignments one week.
- 2021-08-04: The first lecture will be Tue 2021-08-31 08:15. Preliminary those will be online via Zoom. More info will come.
- 2021-08-04: If you are eager to learn about FPGA's, you can have a look att www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfmlsDW3Z4c.
- 2021-08-04: This page starts to be updated for 2021. Parts marked with "(2020)" are not yet updated. Those are likely to change. Also the updated page may change.
TSIU03 is an introductory course to circuit design using VHDL. The general description of the course can be found in the syllabus.
The course is intended for bachelor students with no previous knowledge in VHDL. Students are however supposed to have previous knowledge in switching theory and it is highly recommended to have studied circuit design before.
Master students (specially those that have knowledge in circuit design and programming skills) should preferably apply for the more advanced course Design of Digital Systems (TSTE12). Due to a partial overlap between the content in TSIU03 and TSTE12, it is only allowed to register for one of these courses.
Registration for the course: Lisam. Deadline for registration: 2021-09-13 08:00.
The course includes methods and tools for the design and implementation of electronic systems using VLSI techologies. The design methods aim at reducing the design time and guarantee correct designs as well as ensuring that performance requirements are met.
Design of complex systems, project organization, planning and documentation. ♦ Problem capture, specification, system design, complexity, partitioning and validation. ♦ Use of CAD-CAE tools. ♦ Behavioral description using VHDL. ♦ System architectures. ♦ Automatic synthesis of logic and implementation using FPGA technologies.
Course Web Page and Course Folder
Course Web Page: www.isy.liu.se/en/edu/kurs/TSIU03/.
Course Folder: K:\TSIU03\. (applicable in the lab)
- Kent Palmkvist: Examiner, lectures
- Petter Källström: Labs, project, assignments, misc.
- Mikael Henriksson: Labs, project
You can see a map of rooms and offices here.
The course consists of a series of lectures, laboratories, home assignments and a project.
Specifically, the course includes:
10 lectures (2 hours each).
4 labs (4 to 8 hours each, plus some spare sessions).
3 home assignments.
1 project (running during the entire course in different phases).
The course has 8 ECTS:
3 ECTS correspond to LAB1 (the labs).
5 ECTS correspond to PRA1 (the assignments and project).
Evaluation: Grades are given as "pass" or "fail".
3 ECTS are for the labs, which corresponds to 80 hours. The scheduled time for labs is 30 hours. The lectures are divided between LAB1 and PRA1, but say 14 hours of lectures are for LAB1. Hence, you are supposed to spend about 36 hours of unscheduled time for the labs.
5 ECTS are for PRA1 (projects and assignments), which is 133 hours. The assignments are assumed to take roughly 15 hours. The remaining lecture time is 6 hours. Hence, you are supposed to spend about 112 h per student in the project.
Note: You might need to be within the univerisy network in order to access those.
The students can have access to the books in different ways:
- The LIU library has bought two printed copies of each book that the students can borrow.
- The books are available online for all the students from the web page of the LIU library with unlimited access. They can also be accessed directly from the web page of the course.
- Thus, it is not needed to buy the books. Only if you like any of them and want to get a printed copy for the future, you can buy it. The books can be purchased at Bokad (in Kårallen).
Page responsible: Petter Källström
Last updated: 2021-09-02